The Dangers of Plastic Dog Bowls
What is BPA? The EWG says, "bisphenol a (BPA), a synthetic estrogen used to harden polycarbonate plastics and epoxy resin, is the focus of a growing number of research studies and legislative actions, reflecting mounting scientific evidence that it causes serious and sometimes irreversible damage to health, even at the low doses to which people are routinely exposed."
The Environmental Working Group also goes on to say..."Some of the most popular dog bowls on the market are plastic. But unknown to many, they can be the most dangerous bowls with which to feed and water your pet! There are a couple of reasons for this: One reason is that plastics scratch and those little crevices can harbor unhealthy bacteria, that even a good safe cleaning can't deter.
In addition, there are many reports in the news that plastics can emit chemicals like Bisphenal A, or BPA. Every few years, articles regarding the safety of plastics hit the news headlines - most recently in the form of reports of a chemical found in baby and sports bottles: Bisphenal A, or BPA.
In addition, HealthyStuff.org, an organization who tests many pet products for levels of lead, chlorine, arsenic and more, indicates that even though some plastic pet bowls may be BPA free and certified as FDA food safe, some may contain medium levels of lead.
And these chemicals can leach from plastic containers into your dog's food, potentially exposing them to dangerous chemicals with harmful side affects.
There are some safe food plastics, and generally speaking most human plastics containers can be identified by their recycling codes that can help you find the safe ones. But the pet industry is slow to add this helpful id tool to pet products, so we are left not knowing what plastic pet dish is safe and which is not, or taking the word of the manufacturer. Yes, there are some safe plastic bowls, but how do you know for sure, without having them tested in a trusted lab?
Be cautious with stoneware dog bowls.
According to HealthyStuff.org some stoneware pet bowls may contain medium levels of dangerous lead that could be harmful to your dog. In 1973, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency began phasing out leaded gasoline, a process that was to drag on until 1996. Lead was banned in household paint in 1978. As a result, according to the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, lead levels in the blood of American children have dropped by 86 percent since the late 1970s."
The EWG says..."the insidious symptoms of slow lead poisoning -- impaired intellect, memory loss, mood swings, infertility, nerve, joint and muscle disorders, cardiovascular, skeletal, kidney and renal problems and possibly cancer -- were not fully recognized until the late 20th century.
Some manufacturers tout their stoneware bowls as lead free. But, while HealthStuff.org is sharing a lot of research about stoneware pet bowls, they have yet to test every bowl on the market. So why potentially expose your dog to such a dangerous chemical?
Stainless Steel dog and pet bowls
Over many years, stainless steel has be proven to be the safest material for making and storing foods. It is durable, sanitary, rust-free, and non-leaching. And the best part is that they can last a lifetime, and save you money! In their tips to avoid certain chemical exposure, the EWG recommends in many instances to replace non-safe plastics with stainless steel.
for more information on this topic visit: http://www.squidoo.com/safe-healthy-dog-bowls